Professor Paul Martin
B. Juris/Llb. M.Com. Certified Practising Accountant, admitted to the NSW Bar
CONSULTING AND ADVISORY EXPERIENCE
The listing below is incomplete for the sake of brevity. Projects often combine elements of negotiation, facilitation and strategic advice but are categorized distinctly.
- Pharmacy Guild of Australia: negotiation of government long term agreements for the national financing of pharmaceutical benefits, over 10 years.
- NSW State Rail/Bis Shrapnel: representation of union interests in the negotiation of transfer of all NSW non-urban rail assets to National Rail.
- Kitzra Ltd: Technology acquisition
- Edward Lumley Insurances - Corporate acquisition advice
- International Measurement Systems - international distribution, corporate restructuring.
- Bis Shrapnel, strategic planning, and Board consultation
- Pharmacy Guild of Australia and 11 other health service professional organisations: establishment and leadership of national healthcare alliance.
- Environmental Group Limited: strategic planning for growth, including acquisitions.
- Australian Meat and Livestock Corporation: Northern Australia R&D strategy development
- Gold Cross Pty Limited: Strategic plan development
- National Mutual – Strategic planning workshops for top management team.
- NSW State Rail - Design and implement commercial business planning system.
- Lonely Planet – team planning sessions and strategy design.
- Land and Water Australia: studies on:
- environmental regulation;
- institutional reforms for sustainability;
- tax-leveraged conservation of farmland; and
- reform of the regulatory processes concerned with rural environmental assets.
- Department of Industry Science and Technology: Environment Industries export strategy
- Macquarie Graduate School of the Environment/AWT: on-line services concept
- Australian LifeCycle roundtable: National materials accounting strategy
- Department of Primary Industries & Energy/ Unisearch Limited: The market introduction strategy for a national Housing Energy Rating Scheme (NATHERS).
- South Australian Department of Agriculture/Unisearch: Evaluation of the feasibility of a wheat to ethanol industry on the Eyre peninsula
- The Environment Group Limited - Growth through acquisition strategy
- Unisearch Ltd / Energy Research & Development Corp - Evaluation and advising, commercial strategy for energy efficient building innovations.
- Continental Venture Capital Limited: sectoral investment strategy.
- Department of Industry Science and Technology: Industry development research and advice
- Cabonne Wines Limited (later Reynolds Wines): Revenue growth and international wholesale/resale marketing strategies.
- Western Sydney Economic Zone: Regional economic development strategy.
- DBIRD (Qld): Intellectual property commercialisation strategies
- Zoecon (Sandoz) Limited: Market Entry Strategy for Biological Insect Control technologies.
- BHP International Pty Limited
- Planning advice and review (multiple projects).
- International project planning.
- Australian Wool Corporation Pty Limited: Industrial Relations, Marketing and Distribution Aspects of the proposed Introduction of Robot Controlled Shearing
- CSIRO/BHP/Unisearch: Evaluation of commercial prospects of:
- aerial surveying; and
- space based land information services.
- CRC for Waste Management & Pollution Control
- Evaluation of projects
- Development of commercialisation strategy.
- Metro-Mushrooms: support for the merger of major metropolitan mushroom wholesaler
- Australian Technology Park: Business Plan development, internet services, project team leadership.
- Apple Computer (Calif) – Computer manufacturing study.
- Unisearch Ltd/Energy Research & Development Corp.: Evaluation and advising, commercial strategy.
- The Australian Horticultural Corporation: design of an export promotion and certification scheme for citrus.
- BHP/Temco : Research and decision making system for smelting by-product market opportunities
- Dibbs Crowther & Osborne, solicitors - Develop and implementation of growth strategies.
- Innovation Centre of NSW - Research of key publics, and strategy formulation.
- Unisearch Ltd - Strategic planning and review.
- Pooled Development Funds Board - Development capital industry research.
- Australia Post - advice on franchising structures and agreements for franchised post offices.
- BHP Engineering - industry analyses and strategic advice (multiple projects)
- Department of Industry Technology and Commerce – Needs assessment and planning support National Industry Extension Service;
- Interscan Ltd - Independent assessment of viability (aircraft landing systems)
- Pharmacy Guild of Australia: Strategic negotiation training
- Development of commercial skills and planning approaches.
- Negotiation and relationship formation
- Srategic planning and strategy development
- NSW Forestry Commission (State Forests of NSW): Business and corporate planning.
- St Vincent's Hospital, Darlinghurst - Strategic planning
- SBC Warburg - Development of thinking capabilities
- Sydney Electricity - Commercialisation skills, Advanced commercial strategy thinking for senior managers.
- Telstra - Decision support and mentoring, development of broadband and call centre strategies.
- Thorn EMI Group (South East Asia) - Staff development and strategic mentoring.
2009 Research Director, Faculty of the Professions, University of New England
2005 Professor and Director, Australian Centre for Agriculture and Law, New England University.
1998-2003 Senior Visiting Fellow, Australian Graduate School of Management
1994-1996 Adjunct faculty, New Venture Planning, Australian Graduate School of Management UNSW
1994-1996 Visiting Associate Professor, Enterprise Development, Sydney University Graduate School of Business
1993 Adjunct Lecturer, Business ethics Sydney University Graduate School of Business
1991-1993 Director, Accelerated Development Programme, Australian Graduate School of Management.
Subject Leader, Law. Australian Open Learning Program, Australian Graduate School of Management (ongoing role till 2001)
1992-1996 Editorial Member, International Journal on Strategy and Entrepreneurship
1983-1993 Visiting Fellow, Australian Graduate School of Management. Subjects taught Business Law; International Business Transactions and the Law; Entrepreneurship; New Venture planning;.
1986- 1996 Lecturer, various short courses, Australian Graduate School of Management: Accelerated Development Program and Development Program for Managers. 1988/92 Law for Managers, Introduction to Strategy, and Ethics and Management.
1987 -1992 Director - NSW and Tasmanian Enterprise Workshops program. Commercial Strategy, and Negotiating Effective Agreements.
1986-1988 Lecturer. Law for Marketing Marketing Diploma, University of NSW
1986 Coordinator/lecturer. Australian Graduate School of Management, Strategy for Fast Growth,Technology Based businesses. (AIDC sponsored program)
1981-82 Tutor in Law, Macquarie University Law School and School of Economic and Financial studies.
Part time Lecturer in Commercial Law, and Part time Lecturer in Marketing, Ryde TAFE
1992 NSW Law Foundation - Trust and Commercial Relations
1993 Education and Training Foundation Commercialisation strategies, skills and techniques
2000 Land & Water Australia Cartography for Environmental Law
2002 LWRRDC Options for reform in Australian natural resource property rights, land tenure and land management institutions and arrangements.
2002 Law Society of NSW National Competition Policy discussion paper
2005 Cooperative Research Centre for Irrigation Futures: Social, Cultural and Institutional Research programme Multi-year, multi-project research funding (additional funding, 2009).
2005 WWF Australia The Costs and Benefits of a proposed Mandatory Invasive Species Labelling Scheme
2006 Land & Water Australia/Australian Farm Institute Developing a Good Regulatory Practice Model for Environmental Regulations Impacting on Farmers
2007 Land & Water Australia Developing a Good Regulatory Practice Model for Environmental Regulations Impacting on Farmers
2007 NSW Government Climate Action Grant, 2nd Generation Biofuels
Publications, lectures and reports
- P Martin and E. LeGal Risk-focused bio-fuel law: the weeds case study Biofuels Working Group, IUCN Academy of Environmental Law Wuhan, China, November 5, 2009
- Paul Martin, Jacqueline Williams and Amanda Kennedy Creating next generation rural landscape governance, Seventh Annual Colloquium of the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law Wuhan, China, November 5, 2009
- Burgman, MA, Walshe, T, Godden, L.and Martin, P 2009. Designing regulation for conservation and biosecurity. The Australasian Journal of Natural Resources Law and Policy 13, 93-112.
- J Williams & P. V. Martin Ecosystem services: a means to diffuse political land use decisions in peri-urban regions Ecosystems and Sustainable Development VII 279-291 WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment, Vol 122, 2009 WIT Press
- Martin, Paul and Kennedy, Amanda Creating network-based innovations for improving the supply and welfare of rural health professionals 10th National Rural Health Conference. Cairns May 2009.
- P.V. Martin , J Shortle Transaction costs, risks and policy failure (2009) Conference Proceedings Global Conference on Environmental Taxation 10th Edition, Lisboa 2009 (forthcoming book chapter)
- Martin P and Werren K, Discussion paper: An industry plan for the Victorian environment? Dept of Sustainability and Environment, Victoria (2009) (forthcoming)
- Brower, A, Page, J., Kennedy, A, and Martin, P, (2009) The Cowboy, the Southern Man, and the Man from Snowy River: The Symbolic Politics of Property in the US, New Zealand, and Australia, 21 Georgetown International Environmental Law Review 455, 2009
- Paul Martin and Kip Werren, The Use of Taxation Incentives to Create New Eco-Service Markets Paper 9th Global Conference on Environmental Taxation: Critical Issues in Environmental Taxation – November 6 and 7, Asia-Pacific Centre for Environmental Law, of the Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore later published in 7th Edition of Critical Issues in Environmental Taxation, Oxford University Press 2009
- Paul Martin, Embedding social justice in the design of environmental regulation accepted for the 6th Annual Colloquium of the Academy of Environmental Law, November 10th to 15th, 2008 Mexico City, Mexico (forthcoming Edward Elgar book chapter)
- Paul Martin, The Next Conservation Business Model Macquarie University Centre for Environmental Law, 14th August 2008
- Mark Shepheard and Paul Martin The multiple meanings and practical problems with making a duty of care work for stewardship in agriculture. (forthcoming, under review)
- Mark L Shepheard and Paul V. Martin Social Licence to Irrigate: The Boundary Problem Journal of Social Alternatives Vol 2:3 2008 pp32-39
- Paul Martin and Jacqueline Williams The missing leg in rural innovation research Primary Industries Innovation Centre Symposium New Pathways to the Adoption and Diffusion of Primary Industries Innovations University of New England 24-25 November 2008.
- Paul Martin, Jacqueline Williams and Christopher Stone: Transaction costs and water reform: the devils hiding in the details Cooperative Research Centre for Irrigation Futures Technical Report (refereed) UNE CRCIF 9.1 http://www.irrigationfutures.org.au
- Paul Martin How can we harness market, regulation and social marketing to support climate adaptation? Climate Change, Sea Level Rise and Wetland Adaptations Sydney Olympic Wetland Education & Training (WET) Program Sydney Olympic Park Authority, June 5 2008
- Paul Martin and John Page Property: the legal link between people and the soil Encyclopedia of Soil Science, January 2008 (under review)
Paul Martin Cross pollination or cross-contamination? Directions for informing the management of invasives with market-economy concepts. Keynote address, Proceedings of the 16th Australian Weeds Conference eds R.D. Van Klinken, V.A. Osten, F. D. Pancetta and J.C. Scanlan, May 2008, Queensland Weeds Society (refereed paper).
P Martin The changing role of Law in the pursuit of sustainability in Bridging the North South Divide Ed: Michael Jeffrey, Jeremy Firestone, Karen Bubna-Litic, IUCN Academy of Environmental Law, Cambridge University Press 2008 at pp49-65
Paul Martin and Michael Jeffrey Using a Legally Enforceable Knowledge Trust Doctrine to Fulfill the Moral Obligation to Protect Indigenous secrets NZ Journal of Environmental Law, Vol 11, 2007
P Martin, K Werren, S. Shearing Concepts for private sector funded conservation using tax-effective instruments Land & Water Australia PR071389, November 2007. (launch March 2008)
P Martin, R Bartel, J. Sinden, N. Gunningham and I. Hannam Developing a Good Regulatory Practice Model for Environmental Regulations Impacting on Farmers Australian Farm Institute and Land and Water Australia 2007, ISBN978-0-9803460-4-6
P Martin Weeds: new strategies for an old problem in Managing Weeds in a Changing Climate, 15th Australian Weeds Conference proceedings, 24-28 September, refereed paper.
P Martin Institutional barriers to the adoption of innovations in sustainable primary production, Facilitating adoption of no-tillage and conservation farming practices conference at the Sustainable Farming Training Centre Tamworth Agricultural Institute, NSW Department of Primary Industries, 29–30 March 2006.
Paul Martin, Dr Miriam Verbeek, Sophie Thomson, Julie Martin The Costs and Benefits of a Proposed Mandatory Invasive Species Labelling Scheme, September 2005P. ISBN 1 921031 00X Funded study
P Martin and M Verbeek Sustainability strategies Federation Press 2006 ISBN 1 86287 555 3
Incentives and disincentives: a systematic approach Invited paper, International Forum: Soils, Society & Global Change; 31 August–4 September 2007, Selfoss, Iceland
Taxation Incentives & Instruments NSW Farmers’ Association Annual Conference Monday 17 July 2006
Economic risks and opportunities with Global Warming, NSW Farmers’ Association Annual Conference Monday 16 July 2008
Understanding Carbon on Farms forum Southern New England Landcare and NSW Farmers, Walcha Golf Club, Thursday 28th June, 2007
Session Convenor, Climate Change and Agriculture – Impacts and Adaptation in the Namoi Catchment Powerhouse, Tamworth, Thursday 22 March 2007, and paper on “Emerging Markets and Opportunities”
NSW Bar Association Annual Conference, 17 March 2007: Aboriginal secrets, commercial secrets: Exploring new uses of old law
NSW Bar Association Nth Coast Mini-Conference, 17 Feb 2007 Legal issues and rural communities
Session Convenor Primary Industries NSW Premier’s Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Research Summit 23 Feb 2007 and paper A Climate for Change available from www.greenhouse.nsw.gov.au
P Martin Replenishing The Coastal Zone Management Toolkit, NSW Coasts conference November 2006
P Martin Invited submission and evidence to Standing Committee on Natural Resource Management Legislative Assembly Parliament, Feb 14 (submission) and Feb 21, 2006 (hearing).
P Martin Towards a heuristic framework for choice and mix of instruments for NRM. 11 May 2006. Land and Water Australia Integration and Natural Resource Management Lunchtime Seminar Series Forthcoming publication in collected papers from the lunchtime seminar series.
Paul Martin Are we overburdening regulation? Australasian Environmental Law Enforcement and Regulators Conference, Brisbane, October 27 to 30 2005
Paul Martin The Changing Role of Law in the pursuit of sustainability IUCN Academy of Environmental Law Colloquium, Macquarie University 10-15 July 2005. Publication in Cambridge University Press: Biodiversity conservation, law + livelihoods : bridging the north-south divide ISBN 978-0-521-88503-4 (hardback)
Paul Martin Attacking the Big coastal challenge, 3rd West Australian Coastal Conference, Balancing the Waves of Change, 16-18 November, 2005
Heffernan M, Martin P, McDonnell G, National Medicines Use Dynamics: Influencing Health Policy with System Dynamics. 22nd International System, Dynamics Conference, July 2004, Oxford. (R)
Paul Martin Just what are we trying to manage, anyway? In Australian Values – Rural Policies: Proceedings of a Symposium held in Old Parliament House, Canberra in the Year 2000 RIRDC 2005 (P)
Paul Martin & Miriam Verbeek Property rights and property responsibility in Property Rights and Responsibilities: Current Australian Thinking Land & Water Australia 2002 (R)
Rights, institutions and sustainability. How can we make it work? Paul Martin and Miriam Verbeek in Agriculture for the Australian Environment. Proceedings of the 2002 Fenner Conference on the Environment. (R) B.P. Wilson and A. Curtis editors Published by the Johnstone Centre, Charles Sturt University, Albury 2003
National Healthcare Alliance 2004 Federal Budget strategy submission: Towards a healthy and productive older workforce NHCA December 2003 (C)
Paul Martin Innovation in Estuaries Regulation Conference Proceedings, November 2003 (publication 2004) (P)
Martin and Verbeek Fifty Million Australians: Can this be sustainable? Land & Water Australia 2002 (C)
Paul Martin, Estuarine Sustainability: towards solutions in Futurescape, Nature Conservation Council 2002 (P)
Paul Martin, Miriam Verbeek and Bob Marks, Planning the second wave Future directions in the reform of legal services delivery, Law Society of NSW Monograph. April 2002 (C)
Showcasing the Environmental Industries Department of Industry Science and Technology, 2001 (C)
P Martin and M Verbeek , A Cartography for Natural Resource Law: Finding new paths to effective resource regulation Land and Water Australia 2000 (C) later re-published in Land & Water Australia Natural Resource Management – People and Policy II, 2002 as Using Environmental Law for Effective Regulation Research project number TPF1 of the Social and Institutional Research Program of Land & Water Australia.
Being Heard Above the Crowd’ Showcasing the environment industries Dept of Industry Science and Resources Emerging Industries Occasional Paper 6, 2000 (C)
Martin P V/Synapse Pty Limited Study of the effectiveness of publicly funded research in Queensland, for the Department of Business, Industry and Regional Development, Queensland 1993 (C)
What future for the Legal Profession? Strategies for adaption and reconstruction of the legal profession in NSW . Law Society Monograph, April 1994 (C)
Perspectives on the Future of a Profession under reform Law Society Journal, June 1993 (C)
An agenda for Change - Current challenges and future directions of the legal profession Law Society Journal, May 1993 (C)
Developing strategy IPACE Institute, The Emerging Manager series, University of NSW Cassette tape, March 1991 (C)
Integrative Approaches to teaching Law, Ethics and Management National Corporate Law Teachers Conference 1993 (P)
The Law, Ethics, Business and Society - reconsidering the relationships National Corporate Law Teachers Conference 1993 (P)
Law for Practising Managers, Open Learning course, General Management Diploma, Australian Graduate School of Management, University of N.S.W. (C)
Developing New Enterprises Open Learning subject, University of New England. (C)
Flexible Organisation Structures IPACE Institute, The Emerging Manager series, University of NSW Cassette tape, March 1991 (C)
Management Control IPACE Institute, The Emerging Manager series,University of NSW, Cassette tape, March 1991(C)
The Conflict of Values in Coastal Development Ecopolitics 4, March 1990 (pp 375-381 Ecopolitics Proceedings) (P)
Ethics, Law and Management Address to the Law Foundation Colloquium on Legal ethics, July 1991.(P)
Trust - Making the Wheels Turn in Outlook April 1992.
Why Australia Fails to Exploit Publicly funded R&D Prometheus Vol 9 No 2 December 1991.(R)
Public and Private Sector Commercial relationships in High Technology Industry. Second International Conference on Managing the High Technology Firm, Boulder Colorado. January 10-12 1990 (P)
Technological Innovations in the Context of Business Planning, Proceedings, South Australian Institute of Technology, Association of Chemical Engineers Conference, 1985. (P)
Strategies for Large Business, Implications for Small,Proceedings: National Small Business Conference, University of Newcastle, Newcastle 1984. (P)
Marketing, the innovative edge Proceedings; International Federation of Library Associations/Library Association of Australia 1988 Living Together Conference Sydney Australia Aug 27 - Sept 3 1988 (P)
Corporate Conscience is Good Business, Financial Review, December 1988.
A Three Sided Coin- Executive stress, corporate strategy and culture, A.I.M. Issue 9, October 1987. Australian Institute of Management
The Protection of Confidential Data Australian Graduate School of Management Working Paper series, 1985.
Syndicated study of rural finance and banking (C) Agrimark Consultants for the Livestock and Grain Producers Association February 1984
Negotiating Tactics, Rydge Publications, 1983.
Tax Strategies for Salary Earners, Rydge Publications, 1982.
Richardson, N.A. and Martin, PV, The Impact of United States Antitrust Law on Australian International Trade Practices, Management Forum Vol 8, No 2, June 1982. (R)
Tax Planning for Executives, (2 vols.), Rydge Publications, 1980.
Weights and Measures and the Wine Industry, 24th Annual Conference, Institute of Trading Standards, November 1978 Reported: The Australian Wine Brewing and Spirit Review, No 2, Vol 99, December 1979. (P)
Controlling a Company's Exposure to Liabilities, Rydges, September 1979.
Consequential Loss - Severence pay Decisions, The Insurance Broker, Vol 1, No 4, December